Senior Project Designer, Precast Division
UT - Salt Lake City
Get ready to grow with us.
Northwest Pipe Company is the nation’s leading manufacturer of water infrastructure products and with over 50 years of experience, we are just getting started! Our business is growing, and we are looking for great people to grow with us. We are immediately seeking a Senior Project Engineer, Precast Division join our Northwest Pipe team in Salt Lake City, UT.
- Medical, Dental, Vision, Life, and AD&D Insurance (1st of month after hire)
- Paid Vacation, Holidays, and Sick Time
- 401k Retirement Savings Plan with Employer Match
- Bonus Potential
- Tuition Reimbursement
- On-Site Refreshments
- Employee Assistance Program
- Opportunities for Career Advancement
- Values-Driven Culture Committed to Diversity, Inclusion, and Safety
- Accountability is evident when we do what we say we are going to do and people accept responsibility for their actions. We do not point fingers and blame others. We own our actions.
- Commitment is not only promising to do something, but also actually investing in the necessary effort and actions to make it happen.
- Teamwork is essential for competing in a challenging and constantly changing business environment. Working together across all job functions is critical to achieving our success.
About the Job
Support manufacturing operations with equipment alterations and new equipment and/or improvement designs from inception through startup; operating in accordance with city, state, and federal regulations.
Essential Functions & Major Responsibilities
- Recommend, plan, and implement equipment upgrades to improve production efficiency and/or cost reduction procedures.
- Serves as project manager for major capital projects
- Recommend, write, and provide justification for capital improvement projects
- Manage outside contractors for the design and fabrication of equipment, including reviewing and implementing contracts as needed.
- Communicate with vendors regarding specifications, cost, and delivery.
- Develop capital budgets for projects and be accountable for variances.
- Responsible for acquiring necessary permits from city, state, and federal agencies preparing necessary reports, paying fees, and assuring the Company complies with all applicable laws and regulations.
- Assist in the coordination of efforts between the maintenance department and other departments.
- Inspect jobs in process and at completion to ensure that standards of workmanship and safety are maintained.
- Participate in problem identification and quality improvement efforts.
- Provides engineering support for R & D and new product initiatives.
- Participate in special projects as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Ability to read, analyze, and interpret contracts and technical information.
- Ability to write reports and business correspondence.
- Ability to effectively communicate information and respond to questions from senior management, operations management, production floor, and vendors.
- Ability to design and analyze machine components.
- Ability to compile estimates for individual equipment up to complete factory installations.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of variables in situations where only limited standardized guidance exists.
- Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, verbal, diagram, or schedule form.
- Excellent inter-personal and problems solving skills required.
- Effective written and verbal skills.
- Advanced Project Management skills.
- Knowledge of Precast concrete components and processes.
- Knowledge of Structural analysis of mild steel.
- Knowledge of welding equipment and processes.
- Knowledge of hydraulic systems and components.
- Knowledge of drive components application.
- Knowledge of Environmental/Regulatory compliance.
- Safety training.
- Problem solving skills.
- Able to work independently.
- Computer literate.
- Knowledge of Fabrication/Machine Shop processes and equipment.
- Must be self-motivated and able to communicate with all levels of personnel.
- Capable of Managing multiple projects and prioritize.
- MS in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent.
- Project Management Certification is highly preferred.
- Minimum 3-5 years progressive experience in Project Management/Equipment Design/Maintenance preferred.
- AutoCAD experience required.
- 5+ years in a manufacturing environment – preference for Precast, but not required.
Full list of anticipated physical demands for this position and detail on our work environment is available on our application portal. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Our organization maintains a drug-free workplace. Except where prohibited by state law, all offers of employment are conditioned upon successful passing of a drug test and background check.
Northwest Pipe Company is committed to equal employment opportunity and affirmative action. Minorities, females, veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Northwest Pipe Company reserves the right to close the position, with or without notice, if a qualified candidate is identified prior to the close date.
Sounds Like You?
Click the link below to apply online.