Director of Safety
WA - Vancouver (Corporate Office)
Executive Vice President
Northwest Pipe Company
open until filled
Get ready to grow with us!
Northwest Pipe Company is the nation’s leading manufacturer of water infrastructure products and with over 50 years of experience, we’re just getting started! Our business is growing, and we’re looking for great people to grow with us. We’re immediately seeking a Director of Safety to join our Northwest Pipe team.
- Medical, Dental, Vision, Life, AD&D Insurance
- Paid Vacation, Holidays, and Sick Time
- 401k Retirement Savings Plan with Employer Match
- Bonus Potential (2x per year)
- Up to $5,000 per year Tuition Reimbursement
- Safety Footwear and Eyewear Voucher (Day 1 of Employment)
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Opportunities for Career Advancement
- Values-Driven Culture Committed to Diversity, Inclusion, and Safety
- Accountability is evident when we do what we say we are going to do and people accept responsibility for their actions. We do not point fingers and blame others. We own our actions.
- Commitment is not only promising to do something, but actually investing in the necessary effort and actions to make it happen.
- Teamwork is essential for competing in a challenging and constantly changing business environment. Working together across all job functions is critical to achieving our success.
About the Job
The Director of Safety is responsible for management of Northwest Pipe Company safety activities including oversite and direction for incident evaluation and all safety compliance. This role will be responsible for ensuring compliance with OSHA, FMCSA, DOT, and any other state / local standards.
Essential Functions & Major Responsibilities
- In partnership with operations management, establish a comprehensive high-impact, clear vision, compelling, metric based safety program and goals; develop effective strategies and plans to achieve them; leverage company’s strengths; align resources well; anticipate challenges/barriers and develop contingency plans
- Participate in pivotal decisions as they relate to strategic safety initiatives and operational activities with Senior Management
- Partner with senior leaders and provide guidance and support to ensure alignment with strategic plans and initiatives
- In conjunction with management serves as subject matter expert directing safety policies and procedures to address issues at each unique location within the organization. Assures policies are communicated to all levels of the company
- Defines, develops, and implements programs to ensure compliance and proper engagement with rules and regulations of the OSHA, DOT, FMCSA, and local / state laws as deemed appropriate by the senior leadership team
- Provide a shop floor presence to drive employee engagement (teammate to teammate, first line supervisor to teammate) in safety related best practices and procedures.
- Develop, and implement innovative programs to ensure employee engagement in all matters related to creating a safe working environment.
- Initiate and lead activities designed to empower managers and employees to lead safety efforts within their locations, working directly with the operations and safety team
- Provide safety and engagement training to local safety and operations management personnel
- Ensure accurate and timely internal and external reporting on safety metrics
- Oversee and manage all driver qualification documents, files, and record keeping for CDL drivers in order to maintain DOT regulations and requirements
- Manage other driver qualification processes per DOT/FMCSA standards to ensure compliance, including but not limited to: CDL license
- Communicate to all relevant staff and leaders regarding compliance and/or any changes, per DOT/FMCSA
- Designs and implements loss control programs to minimize workers’ compensation costs
- Works with the HR department in the administration of the workers compensation program including claims administration, insurance administration, third party claims administration, and return to work programs (including, but not limited to, light duty)
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Strong background in both occupational safety and transportation safety preferred
- Knowledgeable of OSHA, FMCSA, and DOT standards
- Results oriented, able to demonstrate influence and impact on business decisions (beyond reporting results)
- Demonstrated analytical and quantitative skills, including effective data analysis, investigative problem-solving skills and the ability to present sound, thoughtful, creative, and timely recommendations
- Collaborative, adaptable and proactive
- Outstanding communication skills; excellent oral and written skills
- Capacity to plan, organize, prioritize, and complete multiple projects simultaneously
- Ability to protect confidential information
- Action oriented and driven to achieve results in a positive manner, displaying ethical behavior, integrity, and building trust at all times
- The ability to foster a strong organizational safety culture
- A working knowledge of MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Bachelor’s degree in Safety Management, Operations Management or related field preferred
- 5+ years’ progressive experience in safety management preferred
- In-depth knowledge of: OSHA, DOT and, FMCSA regulations.
Full list of anticipated physical demands for this position and detail on our work environment is available on our application portal. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Our organization maintains a drug-free workplace. Except where prohibited by state law, all offers of employment are conditioned upon successful passing of a drug test and background check.
Northwest Pipe Company is committed to equal employment opportunity and affirmative action. Minorities, females, veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Northwest Pipe Company reserves the right to close the position, with or without notice, if a qualified candidate is identified prior to the close date.
Sounds Like You?
Click the link below to apply online.