Cost Accountant I
TX - Houston
Get ready to grow with us!
Northwest Pipe Company is the nation’s leading manufacturer of water infrastructure products and with over 50 years of experience, we’re just getting started! Our business is growing, and we’re looking for great people to grow with us. We’re immediately seeking a Cost Accountant I to join our Park USA team in Houston, TX.
- Medical, Dental, Vision, Life, AD&D Insurance
- Paid Vacation, Holidays, and Sick Tim e
- 401k Retirement Savings Plan with Employer Match
- Bonus Potential (2x per year)
- Up to $5,000 per year Tuition Reimbursement
- Employee Assistance Program (EAP)
- Opportunities for Career Advancement
- Values-Driven Culture Committed to Diversity, Inclusion, and Safety
- Accountabilityis evident when we do what we say we are going to do and people accept responsibility for their actions. We do not point fingers and blame others. We own our actions.
- Commitmentis not only promising to do something, but actually investing in the necessary effort and actions to make it happen.
- Teamworkis essential for competing in a challenging and constantly changing business environment. Working together across all job functions is critical to achieving our success.
ABOUT THE JOB:
The Cost Accountant I will provide support to the existing cost accounting team and Manufacturing Operations Management in their efforts to report and analyzing operating results in areas such as plant profitability and inventory management. The cost accountant will assist management in understanding cost drivers and develop meaningful metrics. In addition, the person in this position will play a key role in ensuring compliance with internal controls at the manufacturing facility by reinforcing expectations and the reasons for the controls. The person will participate in month-end accounting activities, will play a key role in physical inventory counts, and will support quarterly reviews and the year-end internal and external audit.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS AND MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Assist with accurate and timely monthly reporting of revenue, order book, and yards produced and shipped for assigned plants.
- Precast accounting responsibilities may include (but are not limited to) the following unique items:
- Assist with calculation of Precast plant’s shared services
- Assist with calculation of profit margin by product and review trends and perform analysis on product margins
- Assist with review of overhead rates and bill of material hours regularly to ensure proper inventory valuations by product
- Assist with monthly period cost analysis to ensure appropriate fixed costs are capitalized to inventory
- Assist with quarterly Lower of Cost or Net Realizable Value calculation for all assigned locations inventory
- Assist with the monthly close process for the assigned plants, ensuring a timely and accurate GL close, including related journal entries and reconciliations as assigned.
- Provide information and support to the plant employees and other cost accounting team members
- Analysis of costs at applicable facilities, verifying GL coding accuracy and expense reasonableness
- Participate and internally support the plant liaison with external audit firm for physical inventory.
- Actively participate in audit support preparation, which includes items requested by the internal and external auditors as well as internal support required by the financial reporting team.
- Understand and adhere to internal control procedures related to areas managed and participate in controls documentation and evaluation.
- Perform selected internal control procedures and document performance.
- Streamline and document department processes and procedures with the objective of following LEAN principles while also maintaining strong internal controls.
- Help refine accounting policies and procedures as appropriate.
- Ad Hoc analysis and special projects as assigned.
- Provide backup for other team members as required.
- Other duties may be assigned.
- There are no supervisory responsibilities in this position.
- Daily interaction in person and/or remotely with plant personnel, Operations management, and other members of the Corporate Finance department.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES:
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- A keen sense of detail/accuracy as well as the ability to see the larger picture.
- Superior organizational skills, including an ability to multi-task and re-prioritize to meet critical deadlines and project timelines.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills and strong interpersonal skills.
- Capable of regularly using good judgment and discretion to accomplish goals and work requirements.
- Self-starter with proven ability to manage schedule, priorities, deadlines with minimal direction.
- Ability to perform essential job duties with or without reasonable accommodation and without posing a direct threat to safety or health of employee or others.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or relevant field, plus at least 1 year of relevant work experience. A combination of relevant education and work experience is acceptable.
- Previous work experience in a manufacturing environment is preferred.
- Experience with standard inventory costing with bill of materials for inventory products.
- Experience in product costing/profitability analysis.
- Experience in the application of GAAP and an understanding of internal controls.
- Experience with the monthly accounting close process (including journal entries and account reconciliations).
- Experience working with SAP or other major enterprise-wide application.
CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS:
- None required.
Full list of anticipated physical demands for this position and detail on our work environment is available on our application portal. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Northwest Pipe Company is committed to equal employment opportunity and affirmative action. Minorities, females, veterans, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
Northwest Pipe Company reserves the right to close the position, with or without notice, if a qualified candidate is identified prior to the close date.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS/WORK ENVIRONMENT:
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel; reach with hands and arms; and talk or hear.
- The employee is occasionally required to stand and walk.
- The employee will infrequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception, and ability to adjust focus.
- The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- This position may also (on occasion) require travel to a production facility. All employees are expected to be familiar with and comply with all applicable safety and compliance requirements (i.e. PPE, OSHA requirements) when in a production area.
Sounds Like You?
Click the link below to apply online.